[R] Bug in sd() and var() in handling vectors of NA (R version 2.7.1)?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 14:33:48 CEST 2008

There was a bug in 2.6.1 which has since been corrected: there is no need
to report corrected bugs in obsolete versions.  Two different ways to
compute the sd of a zero-length vector gave different answers.

This is covered by the following NEWS item for 2.7.0 (version from
R-patched)

     o   co[rv](use = "complete.obs") now always gives an error if there
         are no complete cases: they used to give NA if
         method = "pearson" but an error for the other two methods.
         (Note that this is pretty arbitrary, but zero-length vectors
         always give an error so it is at least consistent.)

         Since sd(na.rm=TRUE) and var(na.rm=TRUE) both call cov(use =
         "complete.obs"), this applies also to them.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk