[R] Coefficients of Logistic Regression from bootstrap - how to get them?

Michal Figurski figurski at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 31 19:36:12 CEST 2008

Gustaf,

Summarizing things I don't understand:
  - Honestly, I was thinking I can use bootstrap to obtain better
estimate of a mean - provided that I want it. So, I can't?
  - If I can't obtain reliable estimates of CI and variance from a small
dataset, but I can do it with bootstrap - isn't it a "virtual increase"
of the size of dataset? OK, these are just words, I won't fight for that.
  - I don't understand why a procedure works for 26 models and doesn't
work for one... Intuitively this doesn't make sense...
  - I don't understand why resampling *cannot* improve... while it does?
I know the proof is going to be hard to follow, but let me try! (The
proof of the opposite is in the paper).
  - I truly don't understand what I don't understand about what I am
doing. This is getting too much convoluted for me...

And a remark about what I don't agree with Gustaf:

The text below, quoted from Pawinski et al ("Twenty six..."), is missing
an important information - that they repeated that step 50 times - each
time with "randomly selected subset". Excuse my ignorance again, but
this looks like bootstrap (re-sampling), doesn't it? Although I won't
argue for names.

I want to assure everyone here that I did *exactly* what they did. I
work in the same lab, that this paper came from, and I just had their
procedure in SPSS translated to SAS. Moreover, the translation was done
with help of a _trustworthy biostatistician_ - I was not that good with
SAS at the time to do it myself. The biostatistician wrote the
randomization and regression subroutines. I later improved them using
macros (less code) and added validation part. It was then approved by
that biostatistician.
OK, I did not exactly do the same, because I repeated the step 100 times
for 34 *pre-defined* models and on a different dataset. But that's about
all the difference.

I hope this solves everyone's dilemma whether I did what is described in
Pawinski's paper or not.

This discussion, though, started with my question on: how to do it in R,
instead of SAS, and with logistic (not linear) regression. Thank you,
Gustaf, for the code - this was the help I needed.

--
Michal J. Figurski