[R] = or <-

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 16:27:56 CEST 2008

No function accepts <- in place of =.  In the first
of the 4 examples below we are simply setting
variable b to 10 and then passing it to f as its
first argument. f(b = 10) would be different since
that specifies that we want argument b to take
on the value of 10.

f <- function(a=1, b=2) a-b

# these 5 lines below all give the same result
# except the first 3 also have the side effect
# of creating a variable b
f(b <- 10)
b <- 10; f(b)
f(a = b <- 10)