[R] {Spam?} Re: High resolution figures for a paper?

Richard Rowe richard.rowe at jcu.edu.au
Tue Jun 3 04:09:28 CEST 2008

zhijie zhang wrote:
> Thanks for the above mentioned methods. I will try them one by one.
> Thanks again.
>

> On 6/3/08, Sarah Goslee <sarah.goslee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The production of "publication-quality graphics" has been discussed at
>> great length on R-sig-eco over the past week or so. The archive is
>> available here:
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-ecology/2008-May/thread.html
>> and the thread is very near the bottom. Very detailed recommendations
>> have been provided. (Also see the past two days, which are not of
>> course in the May archive.)
>>
>> Sarah
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:12 AM, zhijie zhang <epistat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Rusers,
>>>  My manuscript has been conditionally accepted recently. The problem to
>>> generate the high  resolution figures in R for the manuscript cannot be
>>> solved by me.
>>> The journal editor ask me to generate the figures with a minimum
>>>
>> resolution
>>
>>> of 500 dpi. I have tried the *menu-driven method* to save the figures as
>>> JPEG (100% printed quality), but the results seem not to be very good. I
>>> have submitted the generated figures twice using the above-mentioned
>>>
>> method,
>>
>>> but the Editor think the resolution is still very low.
>>>  Finally, i used the Photoshop to check the figure. It seems that its
>>> resolution for JPEG (100% printed quality) is about 72dpi.
>>>  *Does anybody know a better method to save a figure with user-defined
>>> resolution in R software, especially high resolution? Could u please show
>>>
>> me
>>
>>> an example if possible?*
>>>  I hope to save the figures as TIFF/JPEG format at 1000 dpi.
>>>  Thanks a lot.
>>>
>> --
>> Sarah Goslee
>> http://www.functionaldiversity.org

Why not save as a vector format? Resolution is effectively infinite.

Brian Ripley has produced new and enhanced drivers for recent R releases
...  File/Save As and choose your poison ... both Postscript (.ps) and
PDF (.pdf) work very well. GSView can convert postscript to encapsulated
postscript (eps). In theory SVG should be a way to go, but rendering
engines seem a bit idiosyncratic, so not worth the blood pressure at
this stage. If you must use bitmap then ImageMagick will do a good
conversion with all bells and whistles.

There was a discussion on these lines on R-help in mid April I think,

Richard

--
Dr Richard Rowe
Zoology & Tropical Ecology