[R] transforming output of grid.locator() to coordinates of a leaf viewport

Paul Murrell p.murrell at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 3 04:04:51 CEST 2008

Hi

Wittner, Ben, Ph.D. wrote:
> Hadley, In my application the leaf viewports will not overlap, but I guess that
> would not necessarily be the case for all applications. In any event, do you
> happen to know how to transform coordinates in the top-level viewport to
> coordinates in another viewport in the tree? Thanks. -Ben

current.transform() transforms from *inches* within the current viewport
to *inches* on the overall device.  Sounds like you need the inverse
transform.

If you are in a position to be able to enumerate all of your leaf
viewports, then this may be a possible approach:

- for each leaf viewport, visit the viewport and record the
current.transform() for each leaf viewport.  Also record the size of the
current viewport (in inches).
- capture a click on the device (current viewport should be ROOT) in
*inches*, then iterate through the leaf viewports to determine which one
was clicked in.
- to determine whether the click was within the viewport, use something
like the following function (and check whether both new locations are
positive and smaller than the size of the viewport (in inches)):

newloc <- function(loc, trans) {
    temploc <- c(loc, 1) %*% trans
    (temploc/temploc[3])[-3]
}

Here's a simple example:

# two "leaf" viewports
# (one on the left half of the device, one on the right)
grid.newpage()
pushViewport(viewport(x=0, width=.5, just="left", name="left"))
transLeft <- current.transform()
sizeLeft <- c(convertWidth(unit(1, "npc"), "inches", valueOnly=TRUE),
              convertHeight(unit(1, "npc"), "inches", valueOnly=TRUE))
# Draw a rect for visual reference
grid.rect(gp=gpar(fill=hcl(240, 60, 80)))
upViewport()
pushViewport(viewport(x=.5, width=.5, just="left", name="right"))
sizeRight <- c(convertWidth(unit(1, "npc"), "inches", valueOnly=TRUE),
               convertHeight(unit(1, "npc"), "inches", valueOnly=TRUE))
heightRight <- convertHeight(unit(1, "npc"), "inches", valueOnly=TRUE)
grid.rect(gp=gpar(fill=hcl(120, 60, 80)))
upViewport()

# Get a click
# (current viewport is the ROOT viewport)
click <- grid.locator(unit="inches")

# For each leaf viewport, calculate where the click was
leftClick <- newloc(unlist(click), solve(transLeft))
rightClick <- newloc(unlist(click), solve(transRight))

# Which one was it in ?
all(leftClick > 0 & leftClick < sizeLeft)
all(rightClick > 0 & rightClick < sizeRight)

Does that help ?

Paul

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics