[R] Cluster analysis with numeric and categorical variables

Miha Staut mihastaut at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 13:44:23 CEST 2008

Dear all,

I would like to perform a clustering analysis on a data frame with two coordinate variables (X and Y) and a categorical variable where only a != b can be established.  As far as I understood classification analyses, they are not an option as they partition the training set only in k classes of the test set.  By searching through the book "Modern Applied Statistics with S" I did not find a satisfactory solution.

I will be grateful for any suggestions.

Best regards
Miha