[R] robust mlm in R?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Jun 3 21:43:54 CEST 2008

Dear Michael,

I don't think that anyone else has suggested a fix, so here's one:

-------- snip -----------

# Mahalanobis Dsq for a matrix of variables
dsq <- function(x, Sigma) {
   if (missing(Sigma)) Sigma <- cov(x, use="complete.obs")
   dev <- scale(x, scale=FALSE)
# DSQ <- dev %*% solve(Sigma) %*% t(dev )
   DSQ <- apply(dev * (dev %*% solve(Sigma)), 1, sum)
   return(DSQ)
}

# robust mlm via multivariate trimming a la Gnanadesikan, Kettering & Wilks
rmlm.GKW <- function(formula, weights, data, iter=3, pvalue=.01, ...) {
   if (missing(data)) data <- model.frame(formula)
   if (missing(weights)) weights <- rep(1, nrow(data))
   last.weights <- weights
   for (i in 1:iter) {
     data$weights <- weights
     mod <- lm(formula=formula, data=data, weights=weights, ...)
     res <- residuals(mod)
     coef <- mod$coefficients
     print (coef)
     p <- ncol(res)
     DSQ <- dsq(res)
     prob <- pchisq(DSQ, p, lower.tail=FALSE)
     weights <- ifelse( prob<pvalue, 0, weights)
     nzero <- which(weights==0)
     print (nzero)
     if (isTRUE(all.equal(weights, last.weights))) { break }
   }
   mod
}

-------- snip -----------

There were a scoping problem in the call to lm() and some other errors as
well.

I think that this revised function does what you want, but I'd also probably
program it differently, handling the standard model arguments in the
function and calling lm.wfit() for the computations.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology