[R] Constructing groupedData objects in nlme - a little problem

Hank Stevens HStevens at MUOhio.edu
Wed Jun 4 19:28:50 CEST 2008

Hi Dieter,
I never really used groupedData objects at all. I can imagine that if
you become even more immersed in nlme and lattice, groupedData could
reduce your typing, and sometimes simplify your life, but it was not a
hurdle I chose willingly.
Hank
On Jun 4, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Dieter Menne wrote:

> Toby Marthews <Toby.Marthews <at> lsce.ipsl.fr> writes:
>

>> Dear R-help,
>>
>> I am trying to create groupedData objects using the nlme library. I'm
>> missing something basic, I know:
>>
>> Here is the first example in ch.1 of Pinheiro & Bates (2000):
>

>> ...but, as you can see, the coefficients I get at the end this time
>> are
>> completely different and I don't know why. Somehow, I am not
>> creating the
>> structure properly even though the formula and data values are all
>> correct.
>>

> Hank is right. On the other hand your well-defined query points to a
> problem
> using groupedData. I do  a lot of my work with nlme and love it, but
> I admit
> that I only started to understand it after I totally stopped using
> groupedData.
> Which makes reading Pinheiro/Bates sometimes difficult, because many
> examples
> give the impression that these must be done with groupedData.
> Everything can be
> done by explicitly saying what should be analyzed in lme and
> friends, there is
> no need to rely on groupedData.
>
> Note that in lme4 that partially re-designs nlme, there is no such
> thing as
> groupedData.
>
> Dieter

Dr. Hank Stevens, Associate Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Office: (513) 529-4206
Lab: (513) 529-4262
FAX: (513) 529-4243
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/ecology
http://www.muohio.edu/botany/

"If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men
believe and adore." -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher
(1803-1882)