[R] nls() newbie convergence problem

Katharine Mullen kate at few.vu.nl
Thu Jun 5 02:59:21 CEST 2008

19 10 37 324
20 26 30 371

weight <- function(y,x1,x2,b0,b1,b2)
{
  pred <-  b0+b1*x1 + b2*x2
  parms <- abs(b1*b2)^(1/3)
  (y-pred)/parms
}

gmfit <-  nls(~weight(y,x1,x2,b0,b1,b2),data=dydata,trace=TRUE,
              start=list(b0=1,b1=1,b2=1), control=list(warnOnly=TRUE))

library(minpack.lm)

weight2 <- function(p, y,x1,x2)
{
  pred <-  p[1]+p[2]*x1 + p[3]*x2
  parms <- abs(p[2]*p[3])^(1/3)
  (y-pred)/parms
}

gmfit2 <-  nls.lm(par = c(1,1,1),
                  fn = weight2, y=dydata$y,x=dydata$x1,x2=dydata$x2,
                  control=list(nprint=1))

dydata is from Norman R. Draper, Yonghong (Fred) Yang, Generalization
of the geometric mean functional relationship, Computational
Statistics & Data AnalysisVolume 23, Issue 3, 9 January 1997, Pages
355-372; I don't think the attachment got through.

nls uses an orthogonality convergence criterium.  Bates talks about this
in the post at
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2000-August/021059.html and it's
also described in the book by Bates and Watts (Nonlinear regression
analysis its applications).  Apparently here the residuals are so small
they are effectively 0, and this criteria does not work; there is a
warning about using zero-residual data in the help page for nls.

nls.lm from the package minpack.lm stops if any of a few different
criteria are met; in this case it stops at the time you think is right.