[R] Lattice + Word: Changing .wmf files to .pdf files

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Thu Jun 5 14:30:19 CEST 2008

Jim Price <price_ja <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> My apriori apologies if this is felt to be the wrong list for this issue -
> although it starts with R, it's a combination of programs that creates the
> problem.
>
> Currently we are using windows metafile format for in-text tables for
> reports created in Word. However, we've discovered some artifactual lines
> being created in our final output once the Word document is changed to PDF.
> The process is as follows:

... example

> This is then imported into Word 2008 (running on XP Pro 2002 with service
> pack 2) using the import picture tool. The resulting file is then saved as a
> PDF from Word.
>
> Although the .wmf file (and R console output if sent to there) look exactly
> as you'd expect, there are a series of diagonal lines running from the
> bottom of the panel.abline created index line to the upper bound of each
> panel.

I could reproduce this, and the same occurs when you export via AdobePdf virtual
printer. I had not seen this feature before, but it is rather harmless compared
to another issue: wmf and emf do not correctly clip data, so if you do not use
automatic scaling, some of you points may end up in the wrong panel. I spoke to
the developer of the gsview emf converter, and he confirmed that nothing could
be done about it, it is a bug in the specification.

Therefore, we do no longer use emf/wmf.

Dieter