[R] GAM hurdle models

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Thu Jun 5 16:08:34 CEST 2008

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, John Poulsen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using mgcv to run GAM hurdle models, analyzing presence/absence
> data with GAM logistic regressions, and then analyzing the data conditional
> on presence (e.g. without samples with no zeros) with GAMs with a negative
> binomial distribution.
>
> It occurs to me that using the negative binomial distribution on data with no
> zeros is not right, as the negative binomial allows zeros.
>
> Does anyone know of a package that does negative binomial GAM hurdle models?
> Or is there another quick fix to overcome this problem (e.g. using
> quasipoisson)?

Packages "VGAM" and "gamlss" both contain functionality for fitted
zero-inflated GAMs. If I recall correctly, both have ZIP and at least VGAM
also has ZINB as well as hurdle models for both distributions (under the
name "zero-altered" models).

I think that both require to use the same set of regressors in both parts
of the model. An implementation of zero-inflated models and hurdle models
without GAM effects but with separate sets of regressors is available in
"pscl".

Further information about the packages is available from:
   http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~yee/VGAM/
   http://www.jstatsoft.org/v23/i07/
   vignette("countreg", package = "pscl")

hth,