[R] Getting R and x11 to work

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Fri Jun 6 07:49:53 CEST 2008

I'm using Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10.2 (SP2) on an HP 2133 (x86)
mini-notebook. (There apparently are a LOT of bugs in 10.1!) I
downloaded R-base from the openSuse 10.2 repository and was (finally)
able to install it (after installing blas and gcc-fortran). I can start
an R session and do computations. When I try to do any graphics using
x11, I get the message:

unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/modules//R_X11.so':
/usr/lib/R/modules//R_X11.so: undefined symbol:
cairo_image_surface_get_data

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Rick B.