[R] color scale mapped to B/W

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Fri Jun 6 22:37:28 CEST 2008

In an R graphic, I'm using

cond.col <- c("green", "yellow", "red")
to represent a quantitative variable, where green means 'OK', yellow
represents 'warning'
and red represents 'danger'. Using these particular color names, in B/W,
red is darkest
and yellow is lightest.  I'd like to find color designations to replace
yellow and green so
that when printed in B/W, the yellowish color appears darker than the
greenish one.

Is there some tool/code I can use to find these? i.e., something to
display a grid
of color swatches with color codes/names I can look at in color and B/W
to decide?

t hanks,

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.