[R] R + Linux

Esmail Bonakdarian esmail.js at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 23:11:00 CEST 2008

steven wilson wrote:

> I'm planning to install Linux on my computer to run R (I'm bored of
> W..XP). However, I haven't used Linux before and I would appreciate,
> if possible, suggestions/comments about what could be the best option
> install,

Hi,

I have used Linux since the early 1990s starting with the original
slackware distribution, followed by various versions of Red Hat,
Gentoo (compiled from source), Fedora and now Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is my choice for having the least troublesome install and
maintenance. It has a very nice package manager, and if your goal
is to *use* a Linux system rather than tinker with it, you could
do much worse than Ubuntu.

I installed R via the package manger a month ago or so, very easy
and trouble free.

Hope that helps,

Esmail