[R] optim, constrOptim: setting some parameters equal to each other

Katharine Mullen kate at few.vu.nl
Sun Jun 8 23:24:38 CEST 2008

the example I just mailed had an error; it should have been:

## objective function that depends on all parameters, here a, b, c
obfun <- function(a,b,c,dd)
    sum((dd - (exp(a * 1:100) + exp(b * 1:50) + exp(c * 1:25) ))^2)

fr <- function(x, eqspec, dd, obfun) {
  ## assign variables for parameter values given in x
  for(i in 1:length(x))
    assign(names(x)[i], x[[i]])
  ## use eqspec to assign parameter values determined w/equality constr.
  for(i in 1:length(eqspec))
    assign( names(eqspec)[i], x[[ eqspec[[i]] ]])
  ## now have all parameter values, call objective function
  obfun(a,b,c,dd)
}

dd <- exp(-.05 * 1:100) + exp(-.05 * 1:50) + exp(.005 * 1:25)

## let par contain all parameters that are not constrained and
## all parameters on right side of constraints of form a=b

## let eqspec give all dependent parameters on left side of
## the constraints of form a=b
## e.g.
## for constraint a=b
xx <- optim(par=list(b=-4, c=-.1), fn=fr, eqspec=list(a="b"),
            dd=dd, obfun=obfun)

## for constraint b=a
x1 <- optim(par=list(a=-3, c=-.1), fn=fr, eqspec=list(b="a"),
            dd=dd, obfun=obfun)