[R] Bug/Error in formatC? (Was: Why doesn't formatC( x, digits=2, format= "g")...)

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Jun 10 15:05:05 CEST 2008

    PD> Hi all After posting what follows, Duncan Murdoch
    PD> suggested perhaps a bug in formatC, or an error on
    PD> documentation.  Any comments?

It could be called a bug in your platform's
implementation of the C-library internal sprintf()
{to which R's sprintf() is an interface}.
Things work okay for me on three different Linux platforms and
on Solaris SPARC.

More details :

   formatC(x, digits=2, format="fg", flag = "#")

ends up calling

   sprintf("%#<n>.2g", x)

where the <n> is carefully determined from x,
in your example

  sprintf("%#3.2g", 0.005999)

For me, this correctly gives

> sprintf("%#3.2g", 0.005999)
[1] "0.0060"

and I assume that for your platform, it wrongly returns
"0.006" instead.

Can you confirm?
What are the exact platform details?

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich