[R] par(mfrow=c(4,2)) vs. lattice

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Jun 10 19:26:11 CEST 2008

FWIW:

I use lattice exclusively. One difference from the mfrow approach is that
lattice automatically provides (if desired) the same scaling on all plots,
necessary to make visual comparisons. It also provides an easy way to
appropriately label and and arrange the plots, as well as to provide
standard enhancements (e.g. a benchmark curve or line on all graphs) on all.
Again, this makes visual comparison among the plots possible, which is what
I mostly have to do. Customizable panel functions give me all the
flexibility and control I need. Generally, it's not hard to write your own,
using the extensive building blocks Deepayan has provided.

All of this is possible through mfrow of course --- you just have to do it
manually. Lattice makes it easy (for me!).

Note: there **is** a considerable learning curve, but Deepayan has done an
exemplary job of documenting lattice, and his new book is a well-written and
extensive resource for self-learning (all IMHO, of course).

Just my $.02.

Cheers,

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics