[R] MCA in R

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jun 11 13:02:18 CEST 2008

Dear Kimmo,

MCA is a rather old name (introduced, I think, in the 1960s by Songuist and Morgan in the OSIRIS package) for a linear model consisting entirely of factors and with only additive effects -- i.e., an ANOVA model will no interactions. You can fit such a model with lm() -- e.g., lm(y ~ f1 + f2 + etc.). Typically, the results of an MCA are reported using "adjusted means." You could compute these manually, or via the effects package.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology