[R] model simplification using Crawley as a guide

Lucke, Joseph F Joseph.F.Lucke at uth.tmc.edu
Wed Jun 11 17:39:19 CEST 2008

And to follow FH and HW

What level of significance are you using? .05 is excessively liberal.
Are you adjusting your p-values for the number of possible models? Do
you realize the p-values for dropping a term, being selected as the
maximum of a set of p-values, do not follow their usual distributions?
How are you compensating for sample size, as a p-value's being
significant is a function of sample size?  How are you compensating for
the fact that the current model choice is dependent on the previous
model choices? How do you know your tree of model choices is the optimal
one?  Have you considered cross-validation?  Are you looking for a model
that true describes a phenomenon or a predictive model that can be used
for practical purposes?