[R] R and Fortran

Derrick Lee d.lee at stat.ubc.ca
Tue Jun 10 00:11:30 CEST 2008

Dear Fellow R-Users,

I am having some difficulties loading a Fortran subroutine into R and
wondering if anyone could lend me some insight to this problem. When I
load some simpler Fortran codes into R, it loads fine, but when I load
more complex codes I get the following error:

        Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
                unable to load shared library
"/nfs/home/grad/d.lee/Testing/chol.o":
          ld.so.1: R: fatal: relocation error: file
/nfs/home/grad/d.lee/Testing/chol.o: symbol s_wsle: referenced symbol
not found

 From what I have gathered, it appears to be a problem when with linking
the library to the Fortran system library, but I am unsure how to deal
with this. As well, I was wondering why I am unsuccessful loading those
same "successful" codes when I go from a 32-bit machine to a 64-bit
machine, why does that cause such a big issue? The current 32-bit
machine that runs R is:

platform sparc-sun-solaris2.8
arch     sparc
os       solaris2.8
system   sparc, solaris2.8
status
major    2
minor    0.1
year     2004
month    11
day      15
language R

Any help to these queries would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

Sincerely

 - Derrick

 Derrick Lee, MSc Candidate
 Department of Statistics
 The University of British Columbia
 LSK-314A | 604 - 822 - 1299 x532
 d.lee at stat dot ubc dot ca | dgylee at mun dot ca
 www.stat.ubc.ca/~d.lee/ | www.math.mun.ca/~derrick0/