[R] help with colsplit (reshape)

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 21:45:56 CEST 2008

Thanks Hadley, with your help I'm getting things figured out.
On Jun 13, 2008, at 2:09 PM, hadley wickham wrote:

>> M.Data2 <- data.frame(M.Data, colsplit(M.Data$variable, split = "\
>> \.", names
>> = c("treatment", "time")))
>>
>> which gave:
>>
>> head(M.Data2)
>> pid variable value treatment  time
>> 1   1    predA    -1     predA predA
>> 2   2    predA    -2     predA predA
>> 3   3    predA    -1     predA predA
>> 4   4    predA    -2     predA predA
>> 5   5    predA    -1     predA predA
>> 6   6    predA    -2     predA predA
>>
>> Closer but no cigar.
>
> Have a look at the whole thing - it's getting it right most of the
> time.  Going back to the original variable names, I see that "PredA"
> does not have a time associated with it.  What do you expect the time
> to be?
Right, there is no time associated with this variable. So I tried
again, treating it as an id:

M.Data <- melt(Data, id = c("pid", "predA"))

 From here I was able to achieve the desired result, as follows:

M.Data <- data.frame(M.Data, colsplit(M.Data$variable, split = "\\.",
names=c("measure", "time")))
M.Data$variable <- M.Data$measure
M.Data <- M.Data[-5]
L.Data <- cast(M.Data, ... ~ variable)

This is perhaps a bit inelegant but it works! I'm interested in
knowing if there is a better way to do it, but I'm happy that I've at
least figured out this much. As always I'm humbled by the generosity
of people who not only make their software available but also take the
time to answer questions on this list. Thank you!

-Ista