[R] "False convergence" in LME

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jun 14 18:45:22 CEST 2008

      This is a common problem, for which solutions are poorly documented.

           1.  Have you tried fitting simpler models, in the hopes of
getting something that converges without complaint, then use 'update' to
try more complicated models?  It sometimes works, though often not.

           2.  Also, have you tried something like 'lme(...,
control=lmeControl(returnObject=TRUE))'?  If no, I suggest you try this
first.  With the error message you report, I would expect this to work,
though it may not.

           3.  Finally, have you tried something like 'lme(...,
control=lmeControl(singular.ok=TRUE))' OR 'lme(...,
control=lmeControl(singular.ok=TRUE, returnObject=TRUE))'?  I'm not
sure, but I believe this may work when "returnObject=TRUE" does not.

           4.  Have you tried the following:

                library(FinTS)
                package.dir('nlme')

                I tried this just now and learned that the 'nlme'
packages contains two non-standard subdirectories named "mlbook" and
"scripts".  The second contains files names 'ch01.R', 'ch02.R', etc.,
which contain the R commands required to reproduce virtually all the
figures, tables and examples in Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects
Models in S and S-PLUS (Springer).  If you have not already done so, I
recommend you get this book and use these script files to facilitate
your study of it.  Doug Bates is one of the world's leading experts in
mixed-effects modeling, and I have learned a lot from my study of it.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves