[R] R on an ASUS eee PC, continued - installing packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 16 16:50:33 CEST 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>> That'll be something like X11.options(width=4,height=4,pointsize=8) in
>>> your ~/.Rprofile
>>
>> You need grDevices::X11.options, and it is better to use a load hook like
>>
>> setHook(packageEvent("grDevices", "onLoad"),
>>         function(...)
>> grDevices::X11.options(width=4,height=4,pointsize=8)
>> )
>>
> Thanks, Brian.
>
> Obviously, I haven't used this for a while and overlooked the example in
> the Examples section of ?Startup.
>
> I do wonder if there are ways to make this less easily overlooked,
> though. Pointers in any or all of ?x11, ?X11.options, and ?Devices could
> help, but maybe we need it in an introductory document like R-intro,
> along with the discussion of Rprofile files in "Customizing the
> environment".

I've added examples in ?X11.options, ?quartz.options and ?windows.options
for now.  (?X11 and ?X11.options are the same help page.)

R-intro is slightly odd in that it and not R-admin has startup info, and
it is scattered across 3 sections -- but at least one of those references
?Startup.

>> There is another way to set the geometry, to set X11 resources as
>> described in ?X11.  I have in my ~/.Xresources
>>
>> R_x11*geometry: 700x700-0+0
>>
>> (for a 22" 90dpi screen, not a 9" one)
>>
> That doesn't help with the pointsize, does it? (Quite crucial on low-res
> screens, even at 1024x768, 12.3" I find that the default pointsize=12 is
> a bit much.)

No -- I was really pointing it out for completeness and 'the geometry' was
inserted to try to make this clear.

One thing that is a bit odd is that we have ways (two each) to set the
initial position of the default device on X11 and Windows, but AFAICS none
on Mac OS X.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk