[R] constrOptim with method = "L-BFGS-B"

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 18 10:28:10 CEST 2008

Dear Georges,

if you are interested in optimization methods in R, there is the
Optimization Task View that has been set up only a few weeks ago.  Most
likely it covers all the optimization algorithms available in R packages.

For constraint handling there have been some postings in April and May about
how to do this with 'optim' or 'constrOptim'.

If the error message says there are infinite values then this is probably
true: So maybe you should check your function that is to be optimized (or
the gradient function).

Consider that 'optim' is a _local_ optimizer, so the solution will heavily
depend on your starting values. There have been some discussions on local
and global optimizers in the postings as well.  The Optimization Task View
is quite careful about this difference.

Best regards,  Hans Werner