[R] computing the average and standard deviation for many setsof triplicates, using "R-approach"

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Jun 18 19:06:40 CEST 2008

Folks:

Assuming that you want row statistics of each block, it seems to me that
solutions so far proposed are either unnecessarily complex (a matter of
personal taste, I know) or depend unnecessarily on the specific arrangement
of the columns (with those beginning with same letter occurring together in
blocks). Since the column names are what determine the blocks over which
statistics are to be computed, a more straightforward approach would seem to
me to use them via grep():

 (note: "t" is a terrible name for your matrix, as it's already the name of
the R transpose function(which I use below). So I called your matrix "dat".)

cnm <- colnames(dat)
test <-lapply(LETTERS[1:4],function(l){
 	z <- dat[,grep(paste("^",l,sep=""),cnm)]
 	cbind(rowMeans(z), sd(t(z)))
 	})

****
"test" is now a list containing 4 matrices of 2 columns each with the
rowwise means and sd's. You can easily get into whatever form you like (or
leave it as is). For example, to make it into a single matrix:

do.call(cbind,test)

etc.

Cheers,
Bert Gunter