[R] try to find the MLE of a function

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 07:57:57 CEST 2008

Hi,

mle caused me some confusion too.

Anyway, first of all, your x should not contain 0, so make it, let say, (1:10)/10.
Secondly, f should not be the density, but -log(density), so in your case it should be
f <-function(theta) -sum(log(theta) + (theta-1)*log(x))

and finally you must specify a start value, i.e. your call should be
mle(f,start=list(thetha=1))