[R] omnibus LR in multinomial model

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Sat Jun 21 00:47:22 CEST 2008

If one estimates a model using multinom, is it possible to perform the
omnibus LR test ( the analogue to omnibus F in linear models )  using
the output
from multinom ? The residual deviance is there but I was hoping I could
somehow pull out the deviance based on just using an intercept ?
Sample code  is below from the CAR book but I wasn't sure how to do it
based on that example. Thanks for any insights.

library(car)
library(nnet)

attach(Womenlf)

participation <- ordered(partic, levels=c('not.work', 'parttime',
'fulltime'))
print(participation)

mod.multinom <- multinom(participation ~ hincome + children)
print(mod.multinom)
print(str(mod.multinom))