[R] Handle missing values

Francisco Pastor paco at ceam.es
Mon Jun 23 11:35:10 CEST 2008

Hi everyone

I am new to R and have a question about missing values. I am trying to
do a cluster analysis of monthly temperatures and my data are 14 columns
with spatial coordinates (lat,lon) and 12 monthly values:

/lat  -  lon  -  temp1  -  //temp2  -  temp3 - ....   -  //temp12/

If I omit missing values (my missing values are 99.00) with

/mydata <- na.omit(mydata)/

every row with a missing value (i.e. eleven good temperature values and
one month missing) is deleted. I would like to retain all valid values
for the k-means analysis but excluding.

I've been trying and searching about na.omit, na.action, na.exclude but
can't find the right point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Francisco Pastor
Meteorology department
Fundación CEAM
paco at ceam.es
http://www.ceam.es/ceamet - http://www.ceam.es
Parque Tecnologico, C/ Charles R. Darwin, 14
46980 PATERNA (Valencia), Spain
Tlf. 96 131 82 27 - Fax. 96 131 81 90