[R] Handle missing values

Francisco Pastor paco at ceam.es
Mon Jun 23 12:48:22 CEST 2008

Hi Ted

I think I understand what you say. Maybe I should reformat my data and
then divide my single annual file in twelve monthly files. But maybe
then I miss the possibility of making an anual analysis but retain more
valid data, I have to think about it.

Hope any expert in clustering can help

Thanks Ted

Francisco Pastor escribió:
> Hi everyone
>
> I am new to R and have a question about missing values. I am trying to
> do a cluster analysis of monthly temperatures and my data are 14
> columns with spatial coordinates (lat,lon) and 12 monthly values:
>
> /lat  -  lon  -  temp1  -  //temp2  -  temp3 - ....   -  //temp12/
>
> If I omit missing values (my missing values are 99.00) with
>
> /mydata <- na.omit(mydata)/
>
> every row with a missing value (i.e. eleven good temperature values
> and one month missing) is deleted. I would like to retain all valid
> values for the k-means analysis but excluding.
>
> I've been trying and searching about na.omit, na.action, na.exclude
> but can't find the right point.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Francisco Pastor
Meteorology department
Fundación CEAM
paco at ceam.es
http://www.ceam.es/ceamet - http://www.ceam.es
Parque Tecnologico, C/ Charles R. Darwin, 14
46980 PATERNA (Valencia), Spain
Tlf. 96 131 82 27 - Fax. 96 131 81 90