[R] running R-code outside of R

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Jun 25 02:04:16 CEST 2008

      A short answer to your question is 'yes and no':  R is an
interpreted language.  There may have been attempts to create a
"compiler" for R, but I don't know if any have actually succeeded very
well.

      However, there are ways to (a) call R from other languages and (b)
run R in batch mode.  For example, I've seen packages that allow Excel
users to run selected R functions.  I'm not current on preferred ways of
doing that, but if I had to do it, I might consider the RExcelInstaller
and RODBC packages.  Also, I know people have created web pages that
pass data to R and display the results in a web page without burdening
the user with learning R.  I don't know how this works, but I just got
125 hits from "RSiteSearch('running R in batch mode')".

      If you want to provide more specifics of what you would like to
do, you might get more useful suggestions.  And, yes, I do believe in
magic,  but sometimes it requires a little creative thought.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves