[R] xyplot questions - axis and plotting two things in same panel

Karin Lagesen karin.lagesen at studmed.uio.no
Wed Jun 25 12:13:02 CEST 2008

Hi list!

I am trying to use xyplot to plot some graphs.

The data I have looks like this:

> alldata[1:10,]
      breaks numbers moltype            type
1  0.0000000    6598      5S Between species
2  0.4066667       0      5S Between species
3  0.8133333    5228      5S Between species
4  1.2200000       0      5S Between species
5  1.6266667    9702      5S Between species
6  2.0333333       0      5S Between species
7  2.4400000    7834      5S Between species
8  2.8466667       0      5S Between species
9  3.2533333   12084      5S Between species
10 3.6600000      24      5S Between species

where moltype and type are factors, moltype having three different
levels, and type having two.

I am now plotting things like this:

xyplot(numbers~breaks|moltype+type, data = alldata, type = "l")

which gives me six panels showing just what I want.

Now, my first problem is how to plot two graphs in the same panel. I
would like one panel per moltype, but I want the type factor to result
in two graphs plotted in the same panel. How do I specify this?

I am also wondering about whether it is possible to change the x axis
scale here. I have data going from 0 to 35, but most of the
interesting stuff is between 0 and 5. Thus I am wondering if there is
any way of specifying that the 0 to 5 range should take up 30 % of the
x axis (or something like that) and gradually shrink the axis after
that. I have tried doing log on the x axis, but I have a lot of zeros
in my data set that really breaks everything.

Thanks for your help!

Karin
--
Karin Lagesen, PhD student