[R] confidence bounds using contour plot

Pascal Hänggi pascal.haenggi at hydrologie.unibe.ch
Wed Jun 25 17:38:21 CEST 2008

Hello

I'm trying to calculate 2d confindence bounds into a scatterplot using the
function "kde2d" (package MASS) and a contour plot.

I found a similar post providing a solution - unfortunatly I do not realy
understand which data I have to use to calculated the named "quantile":

Post URL: http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/03b/5384.html

--
Example:

x <- rnorm(1000, mean = 0, sd = 1)
y <- rnorm(1000, mean = 1, sd = 1.3)
kerneld <- kde2d(x, y, n = 200, lims = c(-1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2.0))

confidencebound <- quantile(kerneld$z, probs= 0.95)

plot(x, y, pch=19, cex=0.5)
contour(kerneld, levels = confidencebound, col="red", add = TRUE)
--

How can I calculate the right contour containing 95% of the values?

Thank's for your help.
Pascal

R 2.7.0, Win XP

--
  Pascal Hänggi

  Universität Bern
  Geographisches Institut, Gruppe für Hydrologie
  Hallerstrasse 12
  CH-3012 Bern

  +41 (0)31 631 54 71
  pascal.haenggi at hydrologie.unibe.ch