[R] running R-code outside of R

Gabor Csardi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Wed Jun 25 17:52:58 CEST 2008

Some clarifications.

R's license (GPL v2) is not about money,
you can charge anyone as much as you wish.

If you create an R program (and don't modify R itself), then
you can distribute that program according to any license you wish.

If you modify R itself _and_ distribute the modified version,
then you have to give the source code of the modified version, along with
the distributed binaries. Again, this is not about money, you _must_
publish the sources, even if your new version is for free.

If you create a website and the user uses R and your code
through that site only, then you don't have to give the source code
to anyone. Basically, you have no obligations in this case.
Spencer is right that this might be against the
principles of the license, but legally it is fine.
It might change if R will ever use GPL version 3.

Gabor

Csardi Gabor <csardi at rmki.kfki.hu>    UNIL DGM