[R] help with cube3d cube size

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jun 25 23:25:47 CEST 2008

Mark Kimpel wrote:
> Ben and Duncan,
>
> Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I"m having some difficulty
> navigating this really good package using my normal learning
> techniques. When I do 'help(package = "rgl") it seems only a very
> small subset of functions available show up.

I think the full list shows up there, if you're using a current
version.  What specific function is missing?
>  Perusing the rgl.pdf
> downloaded from CRAN demonstrates the same lack of documentation.

All of the functions intended for users are documented, and they show up
in rgl.pdf.
> There is no vignette. In addition, I have found at least one other
> package with 3d functions (emdbook::curve3d()).

A vignette would be nice, but there isn't one.  Our paper from useR 2007
is the most recent reference (see
http://www.r-project.org/conferences/useR-2007/program/presentations/murdoch.pdf);
it cites Daniel's 2003 thesis and the 2003 paper about the package.
After those, the NEWS file lists some recent additions.

emdbook makes use of rgl and some other 3d engines, as does misc3d.
scatterplot3d does it's own drawing.  rggobi is a completely different
interactive package.
> What is the best resource for learning about all the foo3d() and lower
> level functionality that rgl and its dependents provide? I saw a book
> at B&N just last week on openGL. Would that be helpful?

It might, but probably not.  rgl is intended to be a higher level
R-style interface to the things described in a book like that.  So if
you have a particular question about how to do something, you'd never
find it there.  On the other hand, if you want to know if something is
possible, then that might be a place to look for ideas.

Duncan Murdoch