[R] matching problem

Tom.O tom.olsson at dnbnor.com
Fri Jun 27 12:23:34 CEST 2008

Hi R gurus
I have a matching problem that I cant solve. I have tried multiple solutions
and searched varius help-sites but I cant get it to work.

This is the problem
myexstrings = c("*AAA.AA","BBB BB","*.CCC.","**dd- d")

what I want do do is to remove any non-characters in the beginning and
everything else after the non-character symbol after the first set of
characters so that the string becomes:

c("AAA","BBB","CCC","dd")

I can figure out the start, sub("^\\W*","", myexstrings,perl=T) will remove
the unwanted beginnings but then its the rest.

And please no links to any helppages, I have been looking at most of them
for the last hour without any success.

Thanks
Regards
Tom