[R] Similarity matching with probabilities

francogrex francogrex at mail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:30:56 CEST 2008

Hello,
It's just a strange coincidence that someone posted just very recently a
question about matching. I know there are several match function in the base
package (such as match, pmatch, charmatch, and the gsub etc)  but I can't
seem to use them wisely to be able to get what I need.
suppose I have the following strings:
"tets"
"estt"
"rtes7"
"gstes"
"tes5t"

Is there an R procedure to determine how related each string is to the
reference string "test", for example to say that "tets" is similar to "test"
with a probability of 0.9 or something of that sort?