[R] Need ideas on how to show spikes in my data and how to code it in R

Daniel Folkinshteyn dfolkins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 22:54:11 CEST 2008

if you want the "frequency" scale rather than density scale, then leave 
hist as is (by default it uses the frequency scale), and rescale the 
density by multiplying it by the appropriate NOBS.

on 06/27/2008 01:16 PM Thomas Frööjd said the following:
> Hi
> Thank you very much for taking time to answer.
> The solution of using hist(data) for the main dataset and adding
> lines(density(refdata)) for the reference data seem to work great. I
> forgot to mention one thing however, I need to have frequency on the y
> azis instead of density as now.
>  I know this is not a "real" histogram but since the audience is not
> very statistically experienced I would prefer to do it this way.
> Anyone have an idea?
> Thanks again for your help.
> Thomas Fröjd
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Daniel Folkinshteyn <dfolkins at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>    I don't understand this.  Why not just get hist() to plot on the
>>> density scale,
>>>    thereby making its output commensurate with the output of density()?
>>>    The hist() function will plot on the density scale if you ask it to.
>>>  Set freq=FALSE
>>>    (or prob=TRUE) in the call to hist.
>> ehrm... because i didn't realize that option existed :) that certainly is
>> easier than manually scaling hist output by NOBS - thanks for the tip!

More information about the R-help mailing list