[R] Survival Analysis with two different events

sickboyedd sickboyedd at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 19:53:10 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I am hoping to use survival analysis to examine whether parasite attack
increases nest death in a species of social wasp. I therefore have data for

1. Whether the nest "died" in the 6 week census period ("Status", where
1=died, 0=survived)
2. The day number of death/last recorded day it was observed alive.
3. Whether the nest was attacked by the parasite (0/1 as with 1.)
4. The day number of attack/ last recorded day the nest was observed without
a parasite.

i.e. example dataset:

status   death   para   paraday
0           42       0       42
1           32       0       42
1           25       1       13
0           42       1       25 ...

I've looked over r-help, as well as in Crawley etc., but I have yet to find
a solution. Can anyone point me in the right direction or literature?

Many thanks,

Edd Almond