[R] bifurcation countings in a cluster dendrogram

yvo yvo.fabian at gmx.de
Sat Mar 1 12:12:07 CET 2008

Dear R helpers,
I am quite new  working with R, and that might be a very easy question for
some of you. So I hope you can help me!! I used a hirarchical cluster
analysis to create dendrograms, like that:

hc <- hclust(dist(USArrests), "ave")
plot(hc)
plot(hc, hang = -1)

Here I want to compare the number of bifurcations for each species, but
therefor I need this numbers first. There should be an elegant way to get
this- instead of counting everything. I would be happy if you could tell me
the solution!!!!
Thanks a lot in advance!!!
Yvonne Fabian