[R] listing components of an object

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 22:45:11 CET 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 4:12 PM, Nair, Murlidharan T wrote:

> Is there a method to list the components of an object, instead of
> looking at the help for that method?  Let me be more clear with an
> example
>
> data(iris)
>   ## tune `svm' for classification with RBF-kernel (default in svm),
>   ## using one split for training/validation set
>
>   obj <- tune(svm, Species~., data = iris,
>               ranges = list(gamma = 2^(-1:1), cost = 2^(2:4)),
>               tunecontrol = tune.control(sampling = "fix")
>              )
>
>   ## alternatively:
>   ## obj <- tune.svm(Species~., data = iris, gamma = 2^(-1:1), cost
> = 2^(2:4))
>
>   summary(obj)
>   plot(obj)
> ---------------------------------
> For tune, an object of class tune, including the components:
>
> best.parameters a 1 x k data frame, k number of parameters.
> best.performance best achieved performance.
> performances if requested, a data frame of all parameter
> combinations along with the corresponding performance results.
> train.ind list of index vectors used for splits into training and
> validation sets.
> best.model if requested, the model trained on the complete training
> data using the best parameter combination.
>
> I got the above by doing ?tune.
>
> Is there a function that helps be do this?

Usually str(obj), or possibly as.list(obj) for many objects, will
give you the sort of information that I think you want, but what's
wrong with ?tune ? In other words, why do you want this list?
Typically, it is advisable that one uses methods to access the
components of an object, like for instance "coef(obj)" for the
coefficients in a model object. This is so that the internal
representation of an object can change without breaking your code,
and a host of other reasons.

> Thanks ../Murli

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College