[R] Problem plotting curve on survival curve (something silly?)

Calum stats at wittongilbert.free-online.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 10:16:05 CET 2008

Peter wrote:
> I'd take a hard look at the pweibull(...)  bit. Is "scale" really what
> you want it to be? If coef(my_curve.Pred) is not a scalar, then it gets
> recycled, which could easily cause oscillations.

Aha - found it.  Its from my attempt to subgroup the data before I
discovered subset...  I now have a curve instead of an oscillation. Now
possibly that curve is wrong... will need to do more reading!

For reference the line above should read:

   > my_curve.Plac <- survreg( Surv(Survival, Censored==0)~
  1, subset=TreatmentGroup=="Placebo", data=TestData,
  dist='weibull')

>> Also is it possible to get an R-squared type value for the fit of this
>> curve from someplace?
>>
>> Finally (three questions in one!) the first two censored data points
>> (1 in each group) are actually lost to follow-ups.  Should they be
>> marked differently from censored?
>>
> Customarily they are not. (I'm sure it is possible to speculate at
> length about it, though.)

Going off topic a bit - but did you mean customarily they are not
censored or customarily they are not handled differently from censored!

> Nothing spectacularly incompetent this far... (I'm not happy with R^2
> measures outside of linear models, or even within linear models, but
> several well-reputed people do find them useful, so who am I to bicker?)

I'm not competent to argue.  But are you suggesting there is a better
way to assess fit of the line to the data?  Thats what I want - Not
being a statistician I'm not fussed how its done.  But If I'm going to
extrapolate a line I'd like to know its a reasonable fit first (is that
purely by eye?)  There is a p value reported by survreg but no idea how
to interpret it ;-)