[R] Make plots with GNUplot. Have anyone tried that?

Gustaf Rydevik gustaf.rydevik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 13:34:46 CET 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Louise Hoffman
<louise.hoffman at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >  Seriously. Be specific if you have a problem. (read the posting guide). R can
>  >  also plot. If you don't like R's plots (which I could not understand) you can
>  >  export data and import them to gnuplot. So what?
>
>  Okay, my post was not very good.
>
>  The reason (I think) I need GNUplot, is that I would like to include
>  the plots from R in a Latex report, where I would like to have all the
>  text and equations in the plots with the same font as used in Latex.
>
>  So when I read about opening and closing "dev" for making a pdf I
>  figured that the plots that R produces are like the once Matlab makes;
>  shows what they ought to, nothing more, nothing less.
>
>  So I was wondering if anyone know of an GNUplot friendly format and
>  the code that would produce that text file.
>
>  I am new to both R and GNUplot, so I am pure ears if someone knows how
>  to make such plots in R.

Hi Louise,

In addition to what Paul Murrell linked to regarding latex fonts, take
a look at demo(plotmath).
I really don't think you have to go outside of R to do what you want.
In addition, if you aim to end up with a latex report I strongly
encourage you to try out ?Sweave. It has certainly helped to
streamline my workflow.

Regards,

Gustaf

--