[R] Problem with lme4 use and installation

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 16:57:31 CET 2008

Nothing's wrong. It just means that the package or one of its
dependencies, has its own xtabs function, which "hides" the default
xtabs function, since it comes first in the search path. So when you
next write xtabs(...), it is this new xtabs that is being loaded. If
you want to call the original xtabs, you can still do it I think with
stats::xtabs(...).

This is a warning, not an error. It warns you that something you
perhaps did not expect has just happened.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College