[R] subsetting a dataframe

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Tue Mar 4 14:58:45 CET 2008

On 3/4/2008 8:41 AM, John Sorkin wrote:
> windows XP
> R 2.6.0
>
> I am having problems deleting a row from a data frame. I create my dataframe by subsetting a larger dataframe:
>
> ShortLavin<-Lavin[Lavin[,"Site"]=="PP" | Lavin[,"Site"]=="CC" | Lavin[,"Site"]=="FH",]

   I would do that in the following way:

ShortLavin <- subset(Lavin, Site %in% c("PP","CC","FH"))

> I then perform a glm using the data frame and plot the results.
>
> fit1poisson<-glm(NumUniqOpPt~Seq+Site,family=poisson(link = "log"),data=ShortLavin,offset=log(NumUniqPt))
> plot(fit1poisson)

   Of course, you could have done the subsetting within the call to glm:

fit1poisson <- glm(NumUniqOpPt~Seq+Site,family=poisson(link = "log"),
data=subset(Lavin, Site %in% c("PP","CC","FH")),
offset=log(NumUniqPt))

> On the plots I see a point labeled as 127 that is an extreme value. I want to re-run the glm excluding the extreme observation. I have tried several methods to exclude the observation (shown below), none have worked.
>
> Minus127<-ShortLavin[-127,]
> Minus127<-ShortLavin[-"127",]
> Minus127<-ShortLavin[-c(127),]
> Minus127<-ShortLavin[-c("127"),]
>
> None of these worked. Suggestions on how I can remove observation 127 would be appreciated

Minus127 <- subset(ShortLavin, !rownames(ShortLavin) %in% 127)