[R] Cox model+ROCR

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Mar 4 15:10:05 CET 2008

> I am trying to build a cox model and then perform ROC analysis in order to
> retrieve some genes that are correlated with breast cancer. When I calculate

 Extension of ROC values to the censored data case is handled by the rcorr.cens
 function found in the Hmisc library.  See the references and examples there.

    In short, one interpretation of the ROC statistic is in terms of
concordance.  Consider all pairs of "comparable" subjects.  For a yes/no
outcome, this is all pairs where one of the subjects is a yes and the other a
no.  The c-statistic = % of all pairs where the model's score correctly ordered
them (higher score for the yes).  For a yes/no outcome this = the ROC.  For your
endpoint it is just somewhat harder to count up "comparables": they are all
pairs for which I can determine which relapsed first.  Relapse at 20 vs censor
at 15, for instance, is not comparable.

    Terry Therneau