[R] renaming objects

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 16:28:45 CET 2008

You might be able to just read in that single  column rather than
read the file in chunks by using colClasses arg of read.table
with "NULL" for all columns except the one you want.

The sqldf package is another way -- see example 6 on the home
page.  You specify what you want using SQL:
http://sqldf.googlecode.com

readTableIndex in R.utils has the purpose of only reading a single
column.
http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/R.utils/html/readTableIndex.html