[R] memory constraints in ubuntu gutsy

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 17:22:49 CET 2008

What type of data do you have?  Will it be numeric or factors?  If it
is all numeric, then you will need over 4GB just to hold one copy of
the object (700,000 * 800 * 8).  That is to hold the final object; I
don't know how much additional space is required during the
processing.

What are you going to do with all of it at once?  Can you read it in
in parts and store it in a database and then just retieve the columns
you need for processing?  So your machine is probably not large enough
to hold a single copy and you would have to be using a 64 - bit
version of R.