[R] Asking, are simple effects different from 0

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Wed Mar 5 19:50:08 CET 2008

On 3/5/2008 1:32 PM, jebyrnes wrote:
> Ah.  I see.  So, if I want to test to see whether each simple effect is
> different from 0, I would do something like the following:
>
> cm2 <- rbind(
> "A:L" =  c(1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0),
> "A:M" = c(1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0),
> "A:H" = c(1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0),
> "B:L" =   c(1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0),
> "B:M" = c(1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0),
> "B:H" = c(1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1))

   That does not corresponds to what I think of as the simple effects.
That specifies the six cell means, but it does not *compare* any cell
means.  I think of a simple effect as the effect of one factor at a
specific level of some other factor.

> summary(glht(fm, linfct = cm2), test = adjusted(type="none"))
>
> Correct? What is the df on those t-tests then?  Is it 48?

   Yes, df = 48 for each contrast.

> Interestingly, I find this produces results no different than
>
> fm2<-lm(breaks ~ tension:wool+0, data=warpbreaks)
> summary(fm2)

   Yes, but those are not what I would call the simple effects.  Those
are essentially one-sample t-tests for each of the 6 cell means.

> Also, here, it would seem each t-test was done with the full 48df.  Hrm.

   The df are based on the whole model, not the 9 observations in one cell.

--
Chuck Cleland, Ph.D.
NDRI, Inc.