[R] Asking, are simple effects different from 0

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Thu Mar 6 11:03:42 CET 2008

On 3/5/2008 3:19 PM, jebyrnes wrote:
> Indeed, but are not each of the cell means also evaluations of the effect of
> one factor at the specific level of another factor?  Is this an issue of
> "Tomato, tomahto".

   I don't think it is "tomato, tomahto".  Say the grand mean is around
100 and the within cell standard deviations are around 10.  You could
easily have a situation in which all of the cell means are significantly
different from 0, but there is nothing at all interesting going on with
the two explanatory factors.  In other words, the cell means can be very
different from 0 with no explanatory variable effects of any kind, based
only on the overall location of the response.

--
Chuck Cleland, Ph.D.
NDRI, Inc.