[R] Statistical Questions: finding differentially expressed genes

Keizer_71 christophe.lo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 15:46:07 CET 2008

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to find a way to do this in excel to tell me which genes are the
most differentially expressed. Sorry, i couldn't find excel forum section in
nabble. However, if it is in R it is fine. This is a microarray data, and it
has been normalized. According to Dov Stekel in Microarray, i will need to
calculate log ratio (control-treatment). Once you have the log ratio,
calculate using paired t-test. Once you calculate the paired t-test, you
will find the p-value and the t-test. Is there a way in excel to calculate
the confidence level that is significant. For example, it will be under 1%
for all the genes to be differentially expressed.

The book did not explained how log ratio will help me determine the
significant value.

GeneID   treatment control treatment control treatment control
Gene1        2.1   1 2     2.2     1.1    0.7      2.7
Gene2        1.5   1.4   1.7    2.2   1.3     1.2
Gene3      1.4   1.7   1.8    2.7   1.6      1.5
Gene4       2.2   2.4    2.1    2.3     2.1      1.9
Gene5       2.6   3.4    2.1    1.3   2.6     2.9

Objective: find genes who are differentially epxressed.